Off page SEO is the technique used to improve the position of a web site in the search engine results page (SERPs). Off Page SEO usually is the promotion method other than website design for increasing the website ranking in the search results which includes link building (getting inbound-links). Off-page SEO refers to activities outside the boundaries of the webpage.
Importance of Off-Page SEO:
To return the best results to the searcher, search engines uses on-site SEO factors, off-page SEO and some other quality factors (Google has stated that it uses more than 200 factors to rank a web page).
Off page SEO gives an indication on how users and other websites perceive a particular website. A useful web site is more likely to have more references/links from other websites. It is more likely to be mentioned on social medias like Facebook, twitter, google plus, etc. and also more likely to be bookmarked and shared among communities of like-minded users.
Benefits of Off-Page SEO:
A successful off-page SEO strategy will bring the following benefits to a website owner:
- Increase in Search Result Rankings – The website will rank higher in the SERPs which means more traffic.
- Increase in PageRank – Page rank ranging between 0 and 10 indicates the importance of a website to Google. It was invented by Larry Page (one of Google’s founders) and one of the reasons that Google was so successful in showing the most relevant results to the searcher. Page rank today is only one of the factors that Google is using to rank websites.
- More Exposure – Higher rankings means more exposure because a website having top position also gets more links, more visits and more social media mentions. It’s like a never ending sequence of events where one thing leads to another and then to another etc.
Most Important Activities referring to Off Page SEO are as follows:
- Link Building
- Social Media
- Social bookmarking
Link building is the most popular off-Page SEO method. Building external links to a website, allocates more ‘vote’ to that website to bypass its competitor and rank higher. For example if someone likes this article and refers it from his website or blog, then this is like telling search engines that this page has good information.
The most popular ways to build links are:
- Getting links from Blog Directories by submitting website links there.
- Including links in Forum Signatures while commenting on forums.
- Comment links – same concept as forum signatures where you comment on other websites or blogs in order to get back links.
- Publishing your articles on an article directory one can get a link back to his website.
- Shared Content Directories like hubpages and infobarrel allows to publish content one can add a couple of links pointing back to there websites.
- Link Exchange, where one can contact other webmasters to exchange links of their websites.
Other ideas on where to get inbound links to improve off-site SEO:
- Business partners, clients, vendors.
- Online press releases through paid press release services.
- Legitimate directories and local/regional web listings.
- Your own site blog and other relevant blogs.
- Thought leadership articles and whitepapers.
- Useful interactive online tools that others will want to link to.
Social media is part of ‘Off-Page SEO’ and also a form of link building. Please note that almost all of the links that we get from social media sites are “nofollow” but still they help on ground as ranking factors, and proper configuration of social media profiles can also boost SEO.
Social bookmarking is not as popular as it used to be but still is a good way to get traffic to your website. Depending on your niche you can find web sites like reddit.com, digg.com, stumbleupon.com, scoop.it, delicious.com, etc. to promote your content.
Reviews in Yelp, Google+, and Other Sites
Online reviews on websites like Google+, Yelp, etc. also are very important as they create valuable inbound links, and they carry their own SEO juice for your site. Review sites are especially important to companies working on a local/regional SEO strategy and one should act accordingly:
- Know what people are saying about you on the leading review sites.
- Make a staff member responsible for responding diplomatically to to negative reviews and linking to relevant information on your site.
- Encourage customers who have had a positive experience to review you.