The word personality refers to the overall outcome of what a man is. Personality development means developing a personality cult so as to create a strong positive impression about you. Or Personality development is the development of the organized pattern of behaviors and attitudes that makes a person distinctive. Personality development occurs by the ongoing interaction of temperament character, and environment. Personality constitutes of various elements like intelligence, physique, temperament, patience etc. All these elements lead to a good personality. In the field of management personality plays a key role in career building and success. The personality development has become a vital constituent of a successful person. People undergo personality development program in order to improve their personal skills and thereby enhancing their personality. Personality is somewhere eternal and it is mainly dependent on the atmosphere in which a human being grows up.
Key elements of personality are:
- Behavior: A stereotyped response to an internal or external stimulus.
- Character: An individual’s set of emotional, cognitive, and behavioral patterns learned and accumulated over time.
- Cognition: The act or process of knowing or perceiving.
- Cognitive: The ability to think, learn, and memorize.
- Gene: A building block of inheritance, which contains the instructions for the production of a particular protein, and is made up of a molecular sequence found on a section of DNA.
- Identity: The condition of being the same with, or possessing, a character that is well described, asserted, or defined.
- Maturity: A state of full development or completed growth.
- Socialization: The process by which new members of a social group are integrated in the group.
- Temperament: A person’s natural disposition or inborn combination of mental and emotional traits.
The degree of a person’s success is directly dependant on the kind of personality he has. There are various key factors of a good personality and to enhance those characteristics of a human being is actually called PERSONALITY DEVELOPMENT. The basic characteristics of an ultimate personality are:
- Trustworthy, High integrity and Responsibility.
- Knowledge, in depth.
- Effective Communication & Efficiency.
- Economic independence.
Similarly there are various negative factors which affect one’s personality. The strongest aspects to spoil one’s personality are:
- Hurting attitude.
- Useless approach.
- Non-beneficial communication.
- Untrustworthy, Irresponsible, Lack of integrity.
- Below average performance.
- Powerless egoism.
- Financial indiscipline.
- Uncontrolled burst of negative emotions
Personality development plays a significant role in three most important aspects of our life:
- Social Relationships
- Family Relationships
- Professional Relationships
Human being is a social animal. Acceptance from friends and society are very important for an individual, unless you are strong enough, not to care about others. However, at some point or the other, you do feel aloof and ignored. An individual with attractive personality has charisma, with magnetic power, to draw people towards him and make them know what he wants. Who doesn’t feel great when you are recognized and accepted by the society? If you are shy and timid that shows lack of confidence in your personality.
The home environment is warm and pleasant when a family member has vibrant and positive personality, full of fun and happiness. It’s the pleasure and laughter that makes the home atmosphere to live on. The way you interact with your partner or parents or children, speak a lot about your character. A weak relationship shows lack of confidence and trust. If your family relationship is not strong, that shows in your other relationships as well.
Meeting deadlines, maintaining good relations with your boss, punctuality are some of the challenges that an individual has to face in the office. It’s not the number of challenges that matters. What matters is how you cope and balance these challenges to benefit your job. If you get frustrated on simple matters, you would easily give up. Personality Development plays such a significant role in organizations today, that you will find Personality Development Training Courses for all employees, to develop their skills and raise their motivation level. With right personality and skills, it becomes easier to interact with clients, colleagues and bosses. And also helps to face the challenge with positive approach.
“Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it”
Moreover personality development has some basic roles like:
- It helps in building strong personal and team relationships.
- It dictates the success rate of one’s career.
- It helps to trace out the flaws and to improve the personal and technical skills.
- It helps in maintaining the patience level even in adverse conditions.
- It enhances smartness, intelligence and grasps level of a person.
There are some basic tips to brush up personality which is summarized below:
Set an aim in life:
If you sit in the boat of life without knowing your destination you will become the slave of circumstances and other people. Your progress or developments will totally depend on your luck. To change this scenario you need to set an aim for your life. It is true that a person has several aims in life but to decide the chief aim is essential to make good progress. When you have an aim it is like a destination – you can chart your route, plan your action and formulate strategies to reach their quickly.
Power of knowledge:
Knowledge is power. Nobody is impressed with a person who doesn’t even know what is happening in the world. He is considered a fool whom no wise man or woman would like to befriend or follow. Therefore, it is necessary to enrich your general knowledge, and you should be the master of the field in which you are working. To update your general knowledge:
- Read newspaper
- Watch informative program on TV
- Read good and popular books
- Interact with intelligent persons.
A look of confidence on your face impresses everybody. If you walk with a feeling of failure and frustration on your face people will simply avoid you. Even if you are facing difficulties and worries in your life, you must know how to think and look positive. Shake hands with others firmly. While shaking hands or talking make eye contact with others and don’t forget to wear a smile!
Speak in style:
Most of the successful persons maintain a unique style in speaking. They speak clearly and forcefully. Be careful that you have a good command on the language you speak. Don’t make grammatical mistakes else you may become a laughing stock. If necessary take training from a good teacher. Give extra care to your pronunciation. Speaking power is an essential trait of any good personality.
A smartly dressed person is admired everywhere. By observing successful people in any field, you will come to the conclusion that most of the successful persons in almost every field have a keen taste for good dresses. Good dresses also prove a stimulus for the wearer. He/she feels more confident and relaxed.
A healthy body:
It is an old saying that “A sound body has a sound mind”. A body burdened with disease may get pity of others but it is very difficult for that person to maintain an attractive personality. A healthy and smart look is absolutely essential to attract others. And if you work on it you can easily attain it. Take exercise regularly, play games or go for a morning walk whatever suits your body and psychology. Eat a balanced diet.
A man is generally a creature of his habits. Cleanliness, punctuality, completing your work on time, fulfilling your promises, having sincerity and dedication to work, listening to other people with empathy, keeping yourself away from smoking and drinking are the habits which add sparkle and dynamism to your personality. They endear you to people. More over there are some pre requisites for having a desire to enhance personality such as:
- Growth/improvement/Solving oriented Positive thinking.
- Helping tendency.
- Zeal to grow.
- Sincerity, integrity and gratitude.
- Concentration and devotion.
- Awareness and Alertness.
- Not hurting attitude
- Interest in clean and neat appearance.
- Command over language
- Responsible output.
- Accountable actions.
- Utilizing Time Preciously.
LIES, laziness, jealousy, exploitation, action and words differing, selfishness at others cost, arguments outside competition, revenge, lust, hurting egoism, ignorance etc.
Ten useful ways to win people:
- The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it.
- Show respect for the other person’s opinions. Never say, “You’re wrong.”
- If you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically.
- Begin in a friendly way.
- Get the other person saying “yes, yes” immediately.
- Let the other person do a great deal of the talking.
- Let the other person feel that the idea is his or hers.
- Try honestly to see things from the other person’s point of view.
- Be sympathetic with the other person’s ideas and desires.
- Appeal to the nobler motives.
The above discussed techniques are the key ingredients to enhance ones personality. Apart from them there are the basic requirements like honesty, loyalty, dedication and patience which a person should possess in order to influence people around him. It is said date “ A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way and shows the way”. To lead a band of people one should possess a pleasing personality and provide a reason to his followers to follow him. Personality is not always eternal. It is one’s efforts and dedication which leads him to have a great personality and make other’s say “That person is going with a personality”.